My wife was diagnosed with mild Alzheimers about 6 months ago. It has turned our lives upside down. My kids are doing the cooking now, (adults 34 and 21). She can still do the laundry, but it's anyone's guess where she puts the clean clothes.

She is about 95% normal, in the mornings, but gets worse during the late evening.

15 Answers

g.moll
Answered 1 year ago    reply

Yep, for most people, even if they aren't really sundowning they are more easily fatigued and start unraveling late in the day. One this,g that can help is labeling everything in sight. Label the shelves, the cupboards, the closets, with what should go where. Do both adult children still live with you? You are at least able to cope with this together. Does her doctor feel that a trial of medication ( such as Exelon or aricept or namenda) would be helpful? I feel for you. In so.e ways this time is the worst, this is when you are really dealing with the loss of normal. Later, there will be losses and hardships, but you'll be more prepared. I highly recommend books like Learning to Speak Alzheimer's and The 36 Hour Day. One thing- break down tasks into smaller parts she can still help with. Great that your kids are cooking, can she help, cook with them? My mom is long past doing laundry, but when I bring the dry things in off the line, she helps me fold- as I once helped her when I was a child. It is time for us to talk and laugh and share old jokes and listen to music. Try to make even routine chores into happy times. You will be glad of it later.

torrenceliane68
Answered 1 year ago    reply

You are so right with that!


r.latasha68
Answered 1 year ago    reply

Thanks sP much for the info. Yes both of my kids live us. My other daughter is married but only lives a few blocks from us. She helps out quite a bit.


ehtel69
Answered 1 year ago    reply

My husband can no longer remember where deodorant is kept. Anything on bathroom counter or in cabinet, he will put under his arms. Air freshener, hair mousse, toothpaste, cologne. I have learned if I smell anything unusual, check his armpits!!

ingrahamjeannette
Answered 1 year ago    reply

This is sad and at the same time it made me smile and chuckle. 90% of the time my husband won't put any on..the other 10%, it's hair spray, lotion, Vicks :) I can't help but laugh & he laughs right with me. He's finally realizing that he isn't remembering too good anymore and some days he gets very angry about that and has little bursts of temper tantrums.


altamirano
Answered 1 year ago    reply

You should watch Awakening Alzheimer's on YouTube! Lots of good information! I just wish I could have seen it before I lost my mom to this horrible disease!!


filomena
Answered 1 year ago    reply

We are into year 3 with my mother who has Alzheimer's & vascular dementia. She was completely dependent early on and after she became medicated. God bless you and your children as you start this incredibly hard journey. Family will be so important and you'll need to take breaks when you can. Laugh when you can and enjoy the simple moments too! I would recommend reading The 36 hour Day as it provides insight on what you can start to expect as well.


engle.s
Answered 1 year ago    reply

My mom was the same way when diagnosed 5 yrs ago...its also known Sundowners. Another part of Dementia.


amoroso
Answered 1 year ago    reply

Hang in there. When my father in law was diagnosed many years ago we went to informational classes at the Alzheimer's Association. The 36 Hour Day is a great resourse book. My husband was diagnosed about 4 years ago. It's hard but we get by ok!


fowler95
Answered 1 year ago    reply

latasha. can I ask how old your mom was when it started? I am getting so forgetful and worry about getting it.

r.latasha68
Answered 1 year ago    reply

This is not my mom, but my wife that has it. She is 61 yrs old.

fowler95
Answered 1 year ago    reply

I am so sorry. I will be 69 next month and feel that my mind is going...everyone says they forget things too but I don't know

fowler95
Answered 1 year ago    reply

Is there a test I can have that would diagnosis it?

r.latasha68
Answered 1 year ago    reply

You should see a Neurologist Doctor. They can do the testing and it is quite extensive. My wife went through this testing at University Hospitals here in Cleveland.

fowler95
Answered 1 year ago    reply

Thank you.


related questions